Missing ColdFusion 9 Solr Collections List

Posted: October 15, 2012 in ColdFusion Servers
Tags: , ,

After trying to track down a slow server issue, I noticed that the Solr Collections list in the ColdFusion Administrator did not have the usual list including “core0”. I’m not sure if this list ever existed as this is a new multi-server instance setup by another person. However I did know something was wrong.

So my first step was to locate the collections directory for this instance and delete everything. Wrong thing to do.

Taking a look at the “C:\JRun4\servers\cfusion\cfusion-ear\cfusion-war\WEB-INF\cfusion\solr\logsstderr-????_??_??.log” I see I’m now getting “SEVERE: java.lang.RuntimeException: Can’t find resource ‘solrconfig.xml’ in classpath or ‘C:\JRun4\servers\…\cfusion.ear\cfusion.war\WEB-INF\cfusion\collections\…’, cwd=C:\JRun4\servers\cfusion\cfusion-ear\cfusion-war\WEB-INF\cfusion\solr” when I run my page script. The script detects if the collection exists; if not then create it; then populate the collection.

So now I’m thinking that the collection list probably exists in an XML config file somewhere, but is somehow corrupted as the ColdFusion Administrator can’t read it.

After doing some searching I find the “core” list in “C:\JRun4\servers\cfusion\cfusion-ear\cfusion-war\WEB-INF\cfusion\solr\multicore\solr.xml”. The XML has multiple core children elements under the “solr\cores” path which include the standard “core0” and my missing collections. Because I can just delete those collections, recreating them problematically later, I decide to delete all core elements except “core0/”. Not sure if I need to restart anything or not, I restart the SOLR service and the ColdFusion instance.

I now see “core0” in the ColdFusion Collections list as normal and am able to create collections normally as well.

  1. Bridget says:

    Any idea why this wound up happening in the first place?

    We saw this behavior (no collections in the cfadmin) starting today, after getting a Java Heap Memory error.

  2. Bridget says:

    Thanks Chris – I did increase the Solr memory the other week per http://www.coldfusionmuse.com/index.cfm/2010/4/4/solr-troubleshooting-coldfusion-9 and I haven’t seen the issue since. I was hoping someone found out exactly what and why it corrupts. No worries – thanks again!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s