Technical Debt and Messy Code

Posted: October 3, 2013 in Uncategorized

Today, I found a great meme that represents what my company has to deal with often: a client wanting to put in place a new feature on top of the duct taped code. While we’re happy to do make it happen, this is about what it’s like in many cases.


How Things Get Fixed

Posted: September 24, 2013 in Uncategorized

“Jobs” Movie

Posted: August 16, 2013 in Uncategorized
Tags: ,

ashton-kutcher-as-steve-jobsI went to go see “Jobs” the movie last night. Let me first say that I paid $9.50 for a ticket and $10.50 for a Vitamin Water and a small popcorn. The movie was supposed to start at 9:00, but for 22 minutes I had to sit through car and soda commercials then a couple of trailers. What in the world!? (yeah, I don’t frequent the theaters)

I became a fan of Ashton in “Butterfly Effect”. His real name is Chris Ashton Kutcher by the way. His Steve Jobs character was outstanding. I’m not sure it’ll win an Academy Award, but he will probably be nominated for it. If it weren’t for his distinctive voice, some of the shots you could swear it was Steve himself.

There was something missing from the movie. It very well could be from the high expectations many movies set these days though. But it seemed kind of dull. I can’t put my finger on it.

I believe there’s another Steve Jobs movie coming along, I’m looking forward to seeing that one as I believe Woz is consulting on the movie.

I have a new project that requires Blue Dragon 9.0 Alpha (.NET). I never used Blue Dragon before and it ended up taking me a few days to get up and running.

First of all there is no documentation and there is practically no discussion around it. So I’m writing this in hopes it helps someone out.

The files I’m using are located at .


The first step is to install IIS and ASP.NET. You may need to have .NET Framework 3.5 turned on as well.



The second step is to make sure you have .NET Framework v4.0 installed.


The third step is to make sure you have an IIS site setup and using the .NET Framework v4.0 in the Application pools.



The fourth step is to run BlueDragon_NET_90_alpha.exe in administrator mode.

At that point in time you’ll find an error message when you run the site:

Example: “Access to the path ‘C:\inetpub\wwwroot\BD Test\App_Data\bluedragon\config’ is denied.”

You will need to create a directory structure underneath your website directory:


The bluedragon.xml file is the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>


After you create the directories and file, you will then get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not create NewAtlanta.BlueDragon.Diagnostics.LogTraceListener, NewAtlanta.BlueDragon, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7551335de9fc3c36.

To fix this, you will need to add the app pool’s user and grant is modify or full permissions.

When you add the user, use your machine’s location  (as opposed to the domain), then enter the object name “IIS AppPool\[app pool name]”. For example “IIS AppPool\BD Test”. Then click “Check Names”. This will resolve the name to the app pool name.




This should get you up and running with BlueDragon.NET 9.0 Alpha.

There are currently two patch files in the FTP site. If you run them, you may end up with an error “Could not load type ‘System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpModule'”. To correct this run this to re-register ASP.NET:

c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -iru

I Am Anxiety

Posted: May 28, 2013 in Uncategorized

While I know a couple of people who have it way worse than I, I experience anxiety on a daily basis, all day, every day. It’s something that I’ve learned to control, yet am aware it affects me in a negative way. Sometimes it requires medication, though luckily this is fairly rare.

However I believe most people either have no idea what people with anxiety tendencies go through, or they don’t realize the symptoms of anxiety.

I ran across this video today that explains this quite well. According to this video 1 of 4 people experience anxiety in one form or another. Perhaps it’s worth a watch.

Now that I’ve got my Sublime Text 2 plugins all installed and configured to what I mostly prefer, here’s what both take up in terms of resources when first booted up:

CF Builder 2.0.1 185,420 K 525 MB
Sublime Text 2.0.1 47,232 K 20 MB + 67.5MB App Data

Also take into consideration that Sublime Text takes only a few seconds to start, which ColdFusion Builder takes around 1/2 minute.

Now if I could only get some better “IntelliSense” type support for CF like CFC introspection – that’d be awesome!